The Prado Museum (Spanish: Museo del Prado; Spanish pronunciation:Â [muËseo Ã°el ËpÉ¾aÃ°o]) is the main Spanish national art museum, located in central Madrid. It is widely considered to have one of the world's finest collections of European art, dating from the 12th century to the early 20th century, based on the former Spanish Royal Collection, and the single best collection of Spanish art. Founded as a museum of paintings and sculpture in 1819, it also contains important collections of other types of works. El Prado is one of the most visited sites in the world, and it is considered one of the greatest art museums in the world. The numerous works by Francisco Goya, the single most extensively represented artist, as well as by Hieronymus Bosch, El Greco, Peter Paul Rubens, Titian, and Diego VelÃ¡zquez, are some of the highlights of the collection.
The collection currently comprises around 8,200 drawings, 7,600 paintings, 4,800 prints, and 1,000 sculptures, in addition to a large number of other works of art and historic documents. As of 2012, the museum displayed about 1,300 works in the main buildings, while around 3,100 works were on temporary loan to various museums and official institutions. The remainder were in storage. The museum received 2.8 million visitors in 2012. It is one of the largest museums in Spain.
The best-known work on display at the museum is Las Meninas by VelÃ¡zquez. VelÃ¡zquez and his keen eye and sensibility were also responsible for bringing much of the museum's fine collection of Italian masters to Spain, now the largest outside Italy.
The museum is planning a 16% extension in the nearby SalÃ³n de Reinos, to be opened in 2019.
Madrid, Spain: Prado Museum - More info about travel to Madrid: https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/spain/madrid The Prado Museum in Madrid houses paintings that give an eye-pleasing ...
The building that is now the home of the Museo Nacional del Prado was designed in 1785 by architect of the Enlightenment in Spain Juan de Villanueva on the orders of Charles III to house the Natural History Cabinet. Nonetheless, the building's final function was not decided until the monarch's grandson, Ferdinand VII, encouraged by his wife, Queen MarÃa Isabel de Braganza, decided to use it as a new Royal Museum of Paintings and Sculptures. The Royal Museum, which would soon become known as the National Museum of Painting and Sculpture, and subsequently the Museo Nacional del Prado, opened to the public for the first time in November 1819. It was created with the double aim of showing the works of art belonging to the Spanish Crown and to demonstrate to the rest of Europe that Spanish art was of equal merit to any other national school.
The first catalogue of the Museum, published in 1819 and solely devoted to Spanish painting, included 311 paintings, although at that time the Museum housed 1,510 from the various royal residences, the Reales Sitios, including works from other schools. The exceptionally important royal collection, which forms the nucleus of the present-day Museo del Prado, started to increase significantly in the 16th century during the time of Charles V and continued under the succeeding Habsburg and Bourbon monarchs. Their efforts and determination led to the Royal Collection being enriched by some of the masterpieces now to be seen in the Prado. These include The Descent from the Cross by Rogier van der Weyden, The Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymous Bosch, Knight with his Hand on his Breast by El Greco, The Death of the Virgin by Mantegna, The Holy Family, known as "La Perla", by Raphael, Charles V at MÃ¼lhberg by Titian, Christ Washing the Disciplesâ Feet by Tintoretto, DÃ¼rer's Self-portrait, Las Meninas by VelÃ¡zquez, The Three Graces by Rubens, and The Family of Charles IV by Goya.
In addition to works from the Spanish royal collection, other holdings increased and enriched the Museum with further masterpieces, such as the two Majas by Goya. Among the now closed museums whose collections have been added to that of the Prado were the Museo de la Trinidad in 1872, and the Museo de Arte Moderno in 1971. In addition, numerous legacies, donations and purchases have been of crucial importance for the growth of the collection. Various works entered the Prado from the Museo de la Trinidad, including The Fountain of Grace by the School of Van Eyck, the Santo Domingo and San Pedro MartÃr altarpieces painted for the monastery of Santo TomÃ¡s in Ãvila by Pedro Berruguete, and the five canvases by El Greco executed for the Colegio de doÃ±a MarÃa de AragÃ³n. Most of the Museum's 19th-century paintings come from the former Museo de Arte Moderno, including works by the Madrazos, JosÃ© de Madrazo y Agudo and Federico de Madrazo, Vicente LÃ³pez, Carlos de Haes, Eduardo Rosales and Sorolla.
Upon the deposition of Isabella II in 1868, the museum was nationalized and acquired the new name of "Museo del Prado". The building housed the royal collection of arts, and it rapidly proved too small. The first enlargement to the museum took place in 1918. Since the creation of the Museo del Prado more than 2,300 paintings have been incorporated into its collection, as well as a large number of sculptures, prints, drawings and works of art through bequests, donations and purchases, which account for most of the New Acquisitions. Numerous bequests have enriched the Museum's holdings, such as the outstanding collection of medals left to the Museum by Pablo Bosch; the drawings and items of decorative art left by Pedro FernÃ¡ndez DurÃ¡n as well as Van der Weyden's masterpiece, The Virgin and Child; and the RamÃ³n de Errazu bequest of 19th-century paintings. Particularly important donations include BarÃ³n Emile d'Erlanger's gift of Goya's Black Paintings in 1881. Among the numerous works that have entered the collection through purchase are some outstanding ones acquired in recent years including two works by El Greco, The Fable and The Flight into Egypt acquired in 1993 and 2001, Goya's Countess of ChinchÃ³n bought in 2000, VelÃ¡zquez's portrait of The Pope's Barber, acquired in 2003 and Fra Angelico's Madonna of the Pomegranate purchased in 2016.
Between 1873 and 1900, the Prado helped decorate city halls, new universities, and churches. During the Second Spanish Republic from 1931 to 1936, the focus was on building up provincial museums. During the Spanish Civil War, upon the recommendation of the League of Nations, the museum staff removed 353 paintings, 168 drawings and the Dauphin's Treasure and sent the art to Valencia, then later to Girona, and finally to Geneva. The art had to be returned across French territory in night trains to the museum upon the commencement of World War II. During the early years of the dictatorship of Francisco Franco, many paintings were sent to embassies.
The main building was enlarged with short pavilions in the rear between 1900 and 1960. The next enlargement was the incorporation of two buildings (nearby but not adjacent) into the institutional structure of the museum: the CasÃ³n del Buen Retiro, which is equipped to display up to 400 paintings and which housed the bulk of the 20th-century art from 1971 to 1997, and the SalÃ³n de Reinos (Throne building), formerly the Army Museum.
In 1993, an extension proposed by the Prado's director at the time, Felipe Garin, was quickly abandoned after a wave of criticism. In the late 1990s, a $14 million roof work forced the VelÃ¡zquez masterpiece Las Meninas to change galleries twice. In 1998, the Prado annex in the nearby CasÃ³n del Buen Retiro closed for a $10 million two-year overhaul that included three new underground levels. In 2007, the museum finally executed Rafael Moneo's project to expand its exposition room to 16,000 square meters, hoping to increase the yearly number of visitors from 1.8 million to 2.5 million.
A glass-roofed and wedge-shaped foyer now contains the museum's shops and cafeteria, removing them from the main building to make more room for galleries. The 16th-century Cloister of JerÃ³nimo has been removed stone by stone to make foundations for increased stability of surrounding buildings and will be re-assembled in the new museum's extension. Hydraulic jacks had to be used to prevent the basement walls from falling during construction. The enlargement is an underground building which connects the main building to another one entirely reconstructed.
In November 2016, it was announced that British architect Norman Foster, in a joint project with Carlos Rubio Carvajal, is to renovate the Hall of Realms, which once formed part of the Buen Retiro palace and transform it into a $32 million extension of the Prado. The museum announced the selection of Foster and Rubio after a jury reviewed the proposals of the eight competition finalists â" including David Chipperfield, Rem Koolhaas and Eduardo Souto de Moura â", who had already been shortlisted from an initial list of 47 international teams of architects. The building was acquired by the Prado in 2015, after having served as an army museum until 2005. The project is designed to give the Prado about 61,500 square feet of additional available space, of which about 27,000 square feet will be used to exhibit works.
The Museo del Prado is one of the buildings constructed during the reign of Charles III (Carlos III) as part of a grandiose building scheme designed to bestow upon Madrid a monumental urban space. The building that lodges the Museum of the Prado was initially conceived by JosÃ© MoÃ±ino y Redondo, count of Floridablanca and was commissioned in 1785 by Charles III for the reurbanizaciÃ³n of the Paseo del Prado. To this end, Charles III called on one of his favorite architects, Juan de Villanueva, author also of the nearby Botanical Garden and the City Hall of Madrid.
The prado ("meadow") that was where the museum now stands gave its name to the area, the SalÃ³n del Prado (later Paseo del Prado), and to the museum itself upon nationalisation. Work on the building stopped at the conclusion of Charles III's reign and throughout the Peninsular War and was only initiated again during the reign of Charles III's grandson, Ferdinand VII. The premises had been used as headquarters for the cavalry and a gunpowder-store for the Napoleonic troops based in Madrid during the war.
Between 8 November 2011 and 25 March 2012, a group of 179 works of art were brought to the Museo del Prado from the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg. Notable works included:
- A Scholar (1631), by Rembrandt
- The Lute Player (c. 1596), by Caravaggio
- Ecstasy of Saint Teresa (1647), by Bernini
- Game of Bowls (1908), by Henri Matisse
- Bouquet of Cornflowers with Stems of Oats in a Vase (c. 1900), by House of FabergÃ©
- Pond at Montgeron (1876), by Claude Monet
- Belt buckle with a monster attacking a horse, (4thâ"3rd century BC), (gold ornament from Peter Iâs Siberian Collection)
- Moonrise, Two Men on the Shore (c. 1900), by Caspar David Friedrich
- Composition VI (1913), by Wassily Kandinsky
- Metaphysical Still life (1918), by Giorgio Morandi
Conversely, for the first time in its 200-year history, the Museo del Prado has toured an exhibition of its renowned collection of Italian masterpieces at the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne, Australia, from 16 May 2014 until 31 August 2014. Many of the works have never before left Spain.
The Prado, with the nearby Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum and the Museo Reina SofÃa, forms Madrid's Golden Triangle of Art.
Nearby is the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando. The Museo ArqueolÃ³gico houses some art of Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece, and Rome formerly in the collection of the Prado.
The Naval Museum, managed by the Ministry of Defence, is also nearby.
Until the early 2000s, the Prado's annual income was approximately $18 million, $15 million of which came from the government and the remainder from private contributions, publications, and admissions. In 2001, the conservative government of JosÃ© MarÃa Aznar decided to change the museum's financing platform, ushering in a public-private partnership. Under its new bylaws, which the Cortes Generales approved in 2003, the Prado must gradually reduce its level of state support to 50 percent from 80 percent. In exchange, the museum gained control of the budget â" now roughly â¬35 million â" and the power to raise money from corporate donations and merchandising. However, its recent â¬150 million expansion was paid for by the Spanish state.
In 1991, Manuel Villaescusa bequeathed his fortune of nearly $40 million in Madrid real estate to the Prado, to be used solely for the acquisition of paintings. The museum subsequently sold Villaescusa's buildings to realize income from them. The bequest suddenly made the Prado one of the most formidable bidders for paintings in the world.
The first four directors were drawn from nobility. From 1838 to 1960, the directors were mostly artists. Since then, most of them have been art historians.
- JosÃ© Gabriel de Silva-BazÃ¡n y Waldstein, 1817â"1820
- Pedro de AlcÃ¡ntara TÃ©llez-GirÃ³n y Pimentel, 1820â"1823
- JosÃ© IdiÃ¡quez Carvajal, 1823â"1826
- JosÃ© Rafael de Silva FernÃ¡ndez de HÃjar, 1826â"1838
- JosÃ© de Madrazo, 1838â"1857
- Juan Antonio de Ribera, 1857â"1860
- Federico de Madrazo, 1860â"1868
- Antonio Gisbert, 1868â"1873
- Francisco Sans Cabot, 1873â"1881
- Federico de Madrazo, 1881â"1894
- Vicente Palmaroli, 1894â"1896
- Francisco Pradilla, 1896â"1898
- Luis Ãlvarez CatalÃ¡, 1898â"1901
- JosÃ© Villegas Cordero, 1901â"1918
- Aureliano de Beruete y Moret, 1918â"1922
- Fernando Ãlvarez de Sotomayor, 1922â"1931
- RamÃ³n PÃ©rez de Ayala, 1931â"1936
- Pablo Ruiz Picasso, 1936â"1939
- Fernando Ãlvarez de Sotomayor, 1939â"1960
- Francisco Javier SÃ¡nchez CantÃ³n, 1960â"1968
- Diego Angulo ÃÃ±iguez, 1968â"1971
- Xavier de Salas Bosch, 1971â"1978
- JosÃ© Manuel Pita Andrade, 1978â"1981
- Federico SopeÃ±a, 1981â"1983
- Alfonso PÃ©rez SÃ¡nchez, 1983â"1991
- Felipe GarÃn Llombart, 1991â"1993
- Francisco Calvo Serraller, 1993â"1994
- JosÃ© MarÃa LuzÃ³n NoguÃ©, 1994â"1996
- Fernando Checa Cremades, 1996â"2002
- Miguel Zugaza Miranda, 2002â"2017
- Miguel Falomir, 2017â"Present
In Google Earth
In 2009, the Prado Museum selected 14 of its most important paintings to be displayed in Google Earth and Google Maps at extremely high resolution, with the largest displayed at 14,000 megapixels. The images' zoom capability allows for close-up views of paint texture and fine detail.
- Alcolea Blanch, Santiago. The Prado, translated by Richard-Lewis Rees and Angela Patricia Hall. Madrid: Ediciones PolÃgrafa 1991.
- Araujo SÃ¡nchez, Ceferino. Los museos de EspaÃ±a. Madrid 1875.
- Blanco, Antonio. Museo del Prado. CatÃ¡lago de la Escultura. I Esculturas clÃ¡sicas. II. Escultura, copia e imitaciones de las antiguas) (siglos XVIâ"XVIII). Madrid 1957.
- Luca de Tena, Consuelo and Mena, Manuela. GuÃa actualizada del Prado. Madrid: Alfiz 1985.
- Rumeu de Armas, Antonio. Origen y fundaciÃ³n del Museo del Prado. Madrid: Instituto de EspaÃ±a 1980.
- Official website
- Masterworks in the collection
- Prado in Google Earth, extra high resolution